PLAYA VISTA, Calif. — LA Clippers star Paul George has tested positive for COVID-19, sources told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and Tim Bontemps, and will miss the Friday night play-in game against the New Orleans Pelicans.
Clippers president of basketball operations Lawrence Frank confirmed that George has entered the league’s health and safety protocols.
This is a significant blow to the Clippers, who lose their star guard — again — as they try to clinch the No. 8 seed for the Western Conference playoffs in the elimination game vs. the Pelicans. The winner advances to a first-round matchup against the top-seeded Phoenix Suns.
Frank said George did not feel well Thursday and underwent testing.
“This is another challenge for our group,” Frank said at the team shootaround. “The group has dealt with challenges all year. We’ve had guys in and out of the lineup and dealt with overcoming large deficits and yet this group has always responded. A very resilient group. We have a great deal of faith and a talented and deep roster and have a great coach in Ty Lue.”
When asked whether other Clippers players had to test and if George will be out for a certain period of time, Frank said the team is following the NBA’s lead when it comes to health and safety protocols.
“This is a challenge but it has just been a series of challenges and may be fitting that this is a situation where all those reps and experiences that the group has had, they have been in these moments many many times before this year.”
George missed 51 games earlier this season. He was out for three months with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He returned for five regular-season games, and the Clippers have won six of their last seven games with a healthy George in the lineup.
He averaged 24.3 points, 6.9 rebounds and 5.7 assists this season. He had 34 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists in the team’s 109-104 loss at Minnesota in the play-in game for the seventh spot on Tuesday.
The Clippers will once again be without both of their stars. Kawhi Leonard remains out as he rehabs a torn ACL and has not played a single minute this season. Frank said there is still no timetable for return for Leonard.
email@example.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.
You must be logged in to post a comment.