New research carried out by An Post Money has revealed that one in ten (12%) people in Ireland have had their bank card lost, stolen or frozen while traveling abroad; an experience 14% of men and 9% of women have encountered. More than 9 in 10 state that being able to access cash in an emergency situation while abroad is appreciated with the same number wanting to be able to access 24/7 customer support if their card is lost, stolen or frozen while abroad. A recent survey of over 1,000 Irish people by Red C Research was carried out, on behalf of An Post Money, to uncover insights into the travel plans and habits of people in Ireland in 2022.
- 7 in 10 are planning trips outside of Ireland.
- Of those surveyedover 1 in 4 people are planning to travel to the United Kingdom this year.
- More than half of people plan to travel within Europe (54% for Continental Europe, excluding the UK) this year with 1 in 2 planning to travel outside of the Eurozone.
- 1 in 6 are planning a long-haul trip to destinations including USA (8%), Canada (2%), Asia (4%), Australia and New Zealand (2%).
Financially Planning for Travel
- 1 in 2 (54%) people buy local currency ahead of a trip, with over 65’s (68%) more likely than their younger counterparts to purchase local currency in advance.
- When it comes to the deciding factors on where they purchase foreign currency, 9 in 10 consider 0% commission and exchange rate important while 3 in 4 consider a convenient location to be important.
- In the event of a lost or stolen bank card, more than 9 in 10 value access to emergency cash and similarly, over 9 in 10 value being able to access 24/7 customer support in this situation.
Debbie Byrne, Managing Director of An Post Retail, said: “Travel is back on the agenda in a big way for us in 2022 and with our travel money offerings, we take the stress out of foreign travel. We’re delighted to have great travel solutions for our customers, with more exciting plans to be announced soon. With 5 cash currencies and 16 currencies on the An Post Money Currency Card, we are the only financial provider offering foreign currency in both cash and on a Currency Card, with 0% commission, a 24/7 emergency helpline and cash if you lose your card. Customers have the peace of mind that they have access to a human at the end of the phone if their card is lost, stolen or damaged with 24/7 customer support. Similarly, being able to access emergency cash up to the available balance on your card is reassuring for people should something happen to their card while they’re away. At An Post Money we take immense pride in providing financial services which help people to live well today and in the future”
email@example.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.