Sudan’s army and its paramilitary rival said Sunday they will extend a humanitarian cease-fire a further 72 hours. The decision follows international pressure to allow the safe passage of civilians and aid, but the shaky Truce has not so far stopped the clashes.
In statements, both sides accused the other of violations. The agreement has deescalated the fighting in some areas but violence continues to push civilians to flee. Aid groups have also struggled to get badly needed supplies into the country.
Meanwhile UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Sunday that the top UN humanitarian official is heading to the Sudan region due to the rapidly unfolding impact of the war there and its wider fallout.
The ongoing conflict erupted on April 15 between the nation’s army and its paramilitary force, and threatens to thrust Sudan into a raging civil war.
Earlier Sunday, an aircraft carrying eight tons of emergency medical aid landed in Sudan to resupply hospitals devastated by the fighting, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross, which organized the shipment. It arrived as the civilian death toll from the countrywide violence topped 400.
Read more on FRANCE 24 English
More than 400 dead as rival forces wrestle for control of Sudan
Fighting in Sudan enters third week with air raids, heavy fire despite new truth
Sudan’s army and RSF militants agree to extend truth but fighting continues
email@example.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.